Table Games : It's time for poker!By Joni Hawk
|Level:||Mar 26th 2007|
As you've probably imagined, there are numerous forms of poker that can be played. Even if Texas Hold'em is one of the most recent types of poker, the game benefits from a high popularity, being the most well-liked poker game. Maybe the reason for this is because the regulations are pretty simple and you can gain knowledge of the basics in a few games. In general, the objective of the player is to win the entire amount of bets that other gamblers placed during the hand, also acknowledged as the pot.
The Poker Card Combinations
The Poker Card Combinations
- the lowest combination is a high card, which means that the highest card you have is higher than your opponent's.
- a pair is when you have 2 cards of the same rank. For example if you have 2 Aces then you have a pair of Aces.
- two pairs is when you form 2 combinations of a pair but of different ranks, like a pair of 8s and a pair of Jacks.
- three of a kind is when you form a combination of 3 cards of the same rank, like 3 Q.
- straight is when you have all 5 cards of different suits but in a consecutive sequence, but remember that an Ace can be used as 1, in a sequence of A, 2, 3, 4, 5, or as the highest card when you have 10, J, Q, K and A, the latter being the highest straight available.
- the flush is when you have all 5 cards of the same suit, like 5 Diamonds or 5 Hearts.
- full house is when you have 3 of a kind and the last 2 cards form a pair.
- four of a kind is when you have 4 cards of the same rank.
- straight flush is when you have a straight and all the cards are of the same suit.
- royal flush is the highest possible hand in Texas Hold'em, that means you have the highest straight available, 10, J, Q, K, A, all of the same suit.
- In Texas Hold'em a hand starts with 2 cards being dealt to every gambler, which are acknowledged as pocket cards and can only be visualized by the player who collects them. The other players have the possibility to use their intuition and to obtain an idea about the pocket cards in question by analyzing the other gamblersâ€™ betting patterns and behavior during the game. Every gambler has unconscious reactions which expose them, telling if they have high cards or low cards. In this trap fall even professional players that have been gambling this game for a long time.
- After the players are given their pocket cards the dealer turns others cards face up on the table. First, 3 cards are dealt by the dealer that are called the flop, then the 4th card called turn and the 5th and last card called the river. After each round of dealing cards comes the betting part. Gamblers who think they have a great hand can go until the final round and try to win the pot. Obviously, there are players who don't have anything, but attempt to force others to give up by intimidating them with large bets. They are bluffing. This trick makes other players believe that he has a great hand, and therefore stop betting.
- You shouldn't believe that you are prepared to challenge world's poker champions only if you know the combinations of cards in poker. Certainly, the situation is not that simple. However, free online poker is the greatest method for a beginner to start playing poker and manage to observe the patterns that other gamblers use, because it doesn't request real money. Free online poker is also a fine method to improve your gambling skills. By gambling in free mode, you can't win real money but it is an amazing way to develop into a very skilled poker gambler and advance to real money games.
- Unfortunately, there are also some inconveniences if you play free poker online. The only way you can analyze and identify a bluffer from playing free poker online is by observing the way other gamblers wager or the time it takes for them to perform when it is their turn. But there are many other signs which can expose a bluffer. These signs are known as "tells" and can only be observed when you play poker face to face, and not online. But, you can't have it all! There are numerous webs where you can gamble for free. Just search the net and you shall find them Good luck!
RELATED GAME STRATEGIESLesson 1: Poker History
Where did this card game come from? How did it get its name? Find out here.Lesson 2: Poker Rules
The basics and the variations. Rules and regulations… How do you play Poker anyways?Lesson 3: Poker Hands
So you know the basics, find out what hand wins over what… Does a straight beat 3 Aces?Lesson 4: Poker Betting
“You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold then”… and when to raise!Lesson 5: Poker Strategy
Learn how to play and point to follow to play smartLesson 6: Poker Vocabulary
Impress your buddies on Poker night, with High Roller lingo.
|532 articles||(The gambling industry's...) | articles home | (Briefing Professional...)|